Experienced • Established • Effective

What should you do if you want to file a malpractice claim?

On Behalf of | Dec 16, 2016 | Hospital Negligence |

If you have suffered because a hospital staff member, doctor, nurse or other party was negligent, it’s important to consider the possibility of a medical malpractice case. While not all errors or mistakes need to be addressed in court, if you’ve suffered an injury or lost a loved one because of mistakes made, your case should be discussed at the very least.

The first step that you should take is to talk to the doctor, nurse or other medical professional who is involved in your case. You need to understand what went wrong, and this is the person most likely to be able to help. Sometimes, this professional will be willing to perform services to correct the errors made free of charge.

Another thing you can do is to reach out to a relevant medical licensing board to report what happened. The licensing board isn’t able to compensate you or ask that you be compensated, but it can issue warnings and enforce disciplinary measures to help prevent this kind of situation from happening to someone else.

Finally, know how long you have to file your case. The statute of limitations limits the length of time in which you have to file, so be aware of the deadlines. You should always seek out professional advice and file a claim as soon as you are able to do so, even if you want to add more information to the claim later on. Your attorney can help you gather documents and submit them, and then you can amend them later if there is a reason to do so.

Source: FindLaw, “First Steps in a Medical Malpractice Case,” accessed Dec. 16, 2016


Email our firm

Contact The Law Offices of Judy Snyder

4248 Galewood Street
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035

Lake Oswego Office

Local: 503-894-7478
Fax: (971) 277-3894