When your child is born, you trust your doctor. You assume they’re going to give you world-class care. You believe they are going to do what is best for your child. You hope they are not going to make any mistakes.
Unfortunately, many doctors do make mistakes, and your child’s health could be greatly impacted. Some doctors don’t have enough training. Some are exhausted on the job. Others get distracted while working. Still others may have a substance abuse problem. Regardless of the reason, mistakes can lead to injuries. Some of the more common injuries that children see during birth include:
- Bone fractures, especially to the collarbone or clavicle
- Bruising on the face and head
- Bleeding around a cranial bone
- Swelling of the head
- Injuries to the facial nerves; this often happens when too much pressure is put on the young child’s face
- Injuries to nerve groups that are tied to the hands and arms
- Blood vessel breakage in the baby’s eyes
These are just a few of the injuries that a child can suffer, and they can be more or less severe depending on the specifics of the situation. For instance, the child could just have temporary swelling that goes down with time, or they could have swelling, pain and discomfort around a seriously broken bone that will now take weeks or months to mend properly.
If your child suffers serious injuries or even tragically passes away due to mistakes made by the medical professionals who assist with the birth, it is very important for you to understand all of the legal options you have.